Skip to main content

A New Day

As I continue to improve albeit slowly, day-by-day, steadily; my thoughts come back to where they usually do -- how can I help people like me, people struggling with MS, people in general. Our medical world is so deeply wounded, it sometimes seems as there is no way out, no way to healing, no better path. However, I have now seen that I can get better; I am healing; the medical world did help me when I opened to its vast power.

First, I am going to explore my path and then I will look at helping others. I have spent so much of my adult life being frustrated and angry. There seemed to always be good reasons -- work did not fit my value system; my body was betraying me; my wife did not behave like I wanted. I feel very different now. My heart is open again. I see the world differently -- less cynically, less critically. The world is what it is; people are who they are. Money,autonomy, and comfort are very human goals and humans will always be attracted to these. In spite of this, there is a place for kindness, love, community and altruism. These goals are secondary in many circumstances because the other goals feed more primary needs. It does not mean that community, kindness, hope are any less important, they just cannot be pursued until primary goals are met.

With that said, I would say I have learned recently with my procedure and subsequent slow healing that, love and community and altruism are everywhere. They wait in the wings and often get pushed aside but they are omnipresent. It feels so good to be back in the arms of my friends and family. It brings me deep peace to be cared about by my "team". It is truly liberating to come out of a secret,private, little life of
isolation and "chronic crabbiness" and into a much bigger life of openness, love and honesty. While I am eternally grateful to the doctor who opened my blocked veins, I am equally grateful for the love that has come my way since I let down my self-imposed "wall of silence". There is no substitute for connection to the world and all the fruit it makes, holds and is ready to share.

Now while I am truly blessed to be living my life when the medical condition I fought with for over a decade has found a new, "real" cure. In reflecting on this "miracle", I have to give pause to let this fact sink in. I do also realize that there are miracles everywhere to be harvested. We live in truly magical times but often our eyes close to the miracles as we are overwhelmed with the simultaneous insanity that permeates each and every one of our lives. Yes, the medical system in America is broken. Yes, greed and selfishness hurt many of our beloved people on a daily basis. Yes, the pace of life is very often too fast to allow any appreciation of the awe and magic that surround each and every one of us.

However, as I have been deeply touched by healing hands and open hearts, I realize that I CAN(and truly want to) be a part of bringing peace, healing and love to my fellow travelers in this chaotic world. I want more than ever to help in any way I can to bring light to dark places and healing to wounded soldiers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guest Post from Jenna Walters

Tai Chi for Health Tai Chi is a secret weapon in the battle against the physical and mental demands of life. It has been able to help improve health in individuals with illnesses ranging from peritoneal mesothelioma to migraines . Its quiet and slow movements bring a calm balance to the mind. It also brings strength and balance to the body. Tai Chi demands very little from its participants. The focus is on body awareness and deep breathing. Its stretching is soft and fluid and its movements are low-impact. Young, old, athletic, or the rehabilitating can all gain better health with Tai Chi. Studies have shown that Tai Chi improves physical health . Although the movements are slow and require no added weight, those that practice Tai Chi become stronger in both upper and lower body. There is also proof that flexibility and balance are improved. The fact that the gentleness of this exercise has such positive results makes it perfect for the unfit, the elderly and for those recovering f

Evolutionary Book

I am in the midst of reading a truly great and novel book. Written by Philip Shepherd, New Self, New World  is a deep analysis and different perspective on what is wrong with today's world and why so many of us struggle to find peace and happiness. The book shares with the Pando Method the concept of "coming out of the head and into the body" (the other brain) as a means to see with greater clarity and awareness. We at Pando Health Groups are using our approach of what we call "Center Point Rest" as a conscious process of descending from the thinking mind to the low abdomen. This form of meditation, while brief, gives the individual the opportunity to stop the continuous flow of thoughts and "drop down" into the body and then rest in this quieter, very different space. We find it to be a powerful way to connect with oneself and our true nature as opposed to the ongoing "bombarding thoughts". It truly does change one's state and opens up

Connecting to the World

This is a picture from the Eucalyptus Grove At UCSD -- my dogs' favorite walk. Upon our return from our adventure, I read this from Buddhist psychologist, Rick Hanson. I really resonate with this aspect of connection. Connecting is in 3 directions -- inside with oneself, with others and with the world. When we strengthen one direction, we simultaneously strengthen our general connection. This is guidance to connect more deeply with the world. What makes you feel connected? I'd like to know.   Are we really so separate? The Practice   Love the world. Why?   Your brain evolved in three stages (to simplify a complex process): Reptile - Brainstem, focused on AVOIDING harm Mammal - Limbic system, focused on APPROACHING rewards Primate - Cortex, focused on ATTACHING to "us" With a fun use (to me, at least) of animal themes, the first JOT in this series -  pet the lizard  - was about how to soothe the most ancient structures of the brain