Skip to main content

The Breast Cancer 3 Day Walk

Yesterday, I watched the 3 day walk pass by my neighborhood. They were just starting their 3 day challenge so everybody was looking good. I had 2 friends walking in it, so I went to support them. As I observed and after having read their website the night before, I reflected on the amazing power of this event. Thousands of people participate (mostly women). There is a mix of young and old, healthy and not-so healthy, men and women. The line of walkers just kept coming. I watched for over 1 hour and did not see the first walkers nor the last. The participants were organized into teams as evidenced by their outfits. Overall, there was a strong sense of comraderie and support. Cars, vans, buses, and bicycles all passed by with blaring horns, uplifting music, and cheering fans. There were fans scattered on the street cheering and just watching. This was a "happening" not just a walk.

The website suggested that we think about people we have known who have died of breast cancer, were currently getting treated for breast cancer, or were attempting to prevent breast cancer. I felt "wowed" by the magnitude and prevalence of this condition. I remembered the many women who I knew as a doctor and friend who had been touched by this disease. I remembered telling women that their mammograms were abnormal and needed further evaluation. I remembered the intensity and gravity of these conversations. I remembered the relief that the fortunate many felt whose further testing proved that they were ok; that they did not have breast cancer. I remembered the people (men and women) who went on to have breast cancer. I remembered the people who "got cured" with surgery. Then I remembered the
women with metastatic disease that we guided through chemotherapy, radiation, surgery, and more. Some of these women got to join the list of the cured. Some did not. Some died. Some I met at the cancer center. Some I met through my hospice work.

The stories flood my mind as I write this. Some were dramatically affected by their experience.
One lady truly found God and a new spirituality during her treatment. Another lady went through the therapy with more of a mechanical perspective--fix the defect and move on. Both those ladies have done well. Another lady came to value herself as more than a mother, caretaker and provider during the course of her treatment. One of my favorite patients at the cancer center seemed to grow wiser and deeper with each round of therapy. She met each new situation with an openness and desire to learn and heal that made her care team continually amazed by her resilience. She eventually died from the disease but we watched her become more and more powerful as the disease was taking over her body. She had a healing all through the course of her illness. She died in love with herself and at peace with her life.

While watching these noble warriors walk, I thought about walking 20 miles 3 days in a row. I have never even walked close to 20 miles in a day; let alone doing it again tomorrow and again the next day. Where do these people get the strength, endurance and fortitude? This is not just a walk. This must be a spiritual experience. This taps into something far greater than just walking. This involves a whole community coming together, rising above normal human capacity, and accomplishing the impossible. This is what healing is all about--combining mind, body and spirit to elevate to another plane. One of my friends was doing the event with her 2 daughters to change the "consciousness" of her family. I did not understand this when she first explained it to me, but I do now. The other friend I came to see was doing this walk for the 8th time! She has a strength that she extends to all she touches; and she touches a LOT of people.

These 3 day walks are happening all across the USA. This elevation is coming to thousands of people and being witnessed by millions. I am truly humbled by this movement. While millions of dollars are being raised for breast cancer research, this pales in comparison to the awareness and connection that this event generates all throughout our land. There is a movement happening and I am deeply grateful that I was able to witness it first hand.

Comments

Katie Kobayashi said…
I am moved to tears by this entry, Dr. Kalina. I hope you remember me at the cancer center, because, I'll never forget you. Your blog entries validate my experience and moreover give me strength to keep on keepin on.

Love,
Kathleen Kobayashi
I like the attitude of this patient's view on cancer "a mechanical perspective--fix the defect and move on"

Popular posts from this blog

A Guest Post from Jenna Walters

Tai Chi for Health Tai Chi is a secret weapon in the battle against the physical and mental demands of life. It has been able to help improve health in individuals with illnesses ranging from peritoneal mesothelioma to migraines . Its quiet and slow movements bring a calm balance to the mind. It also brings strength and balance to the body. Tai Chi demands very little from its participants. The focus is on body awareness and deep breathing. Its stretching is soft and fluid and its movements are low-impact. Young, old, athletic, or the rehabilitating can all gain better health with Tai Chi. Studies have shown that Tai Chi improves physical health . Although the movements are slow and require no added weight, those that practice Tai Chi become stronger in both upper and lower body. There is also proof that flexibility and balance are improved. The fact that the gentleness of this exercise has such positive results makes it perfect for the unfit, the elderly and for those recovering f

Evolutionary Book

I am in the midst of reading a truly great and novel book. Written by Philip Shepherd, New Self, New World  is a deep analysis and different perspective on what is wrong with today's world and why so many of us struggle to find peace and happiness. The book shares with the Pando Method the concept of "coming out of the head and into the body" (the other brain) as a means to see with greater clarity and awareness. We at Pando Health Groups are using our approach of what we call "Center Point Rest" as a conscious process of descending from the thinking mind to the low abdomen. This form of meditation, while brief, gives the individual the opportunity to stop the continuous flow of thoughts and "drop down" into the body and then rest in this quieter, very different space. We find it to be a powerful way to connect with oneself and our true nature as opposed to the ongoing "bombarding thoughts". It truly does change one's state and opens up

Becoming Aware

In doing the work that I am so happy to be doing at Pando Health Groups, I have become acutely aware of the painful, demeaning,  limiting and downright cruel thoughts that people carry around and repeatedly tell themselves. Amazingly successful, intelligent and gifted people continually return to a dark and very negative image of themselves that is not based on current reality or supported by their current performance, relationships or modern lives. However, the tape is still playing. Worse yet, the tape hurts them deep down and affects all that they care about, desire and create. It takes away energy. It zaps power and limits potential. It creates misery and suffering. It, too often, makes their lives stay "stuck in the groove on the record". This tape can be turned off (or destroyed) but for too many it keeps raising its head when circumstances replicate past wounds or when there is an ongoing, overpowering, loud voice that just keeps breaking into one's hea