Skip to main content

Estranged

Not many words bring up such a visceral response in me and others as "estranged". To me, not much is more disheartening as when 2 people who formerly shared love and some level of relationship become estranged. Estranged goes beyond dislike and even hatred. Estranged basically says that 2 people cannot maintain any level of relationship.

On a recent hospice house call, I met a very warm and bright 90 year old who was doing ok medically (though certainly with challenges). I had time to talk more than is customary in a "re-certification visit" and she was engaging and quite pleasant to converse with. I always enjoy talking to "wise" seniors who are fortunate enough to have maintained their wits about them. She had lived a long and full life with a general sense of gratitude and a feeling that she was blessed.

However, when I asked her what I could "really" do for her, she shared with me her pain. She had raised 2 children -- a son and daughter. She was very connected to her son who lived next door and was very supportive to her. Her daughter lived in Oregon and they had not spoken or seen each other for 17 years. I was shocked to hear this as she seemed remarkably pleasant and a good communicator. She related the issues that created their separation and their efforts to heal the rift. She did not cry as she told her story and the wound was obviously quite chronic and "solidified".

Being the person I am (sensitive but naive and maybe too bold), I offered to call her daughter in an effort to guide them to healing their separation. I spoke to her daughter at length and found her also to be bright, articulate, and pleasant. She was unemotional also and quite clear in her desire to stay estranged from her mother. Apparently, my patient and her husband had had a very "rocky" marriage with much fighting and periods apart. The daughter was more like the husband and much more connected to her dad than to her mom. There were clearly delineated "issues" that both parties felt aligned with and it had just gotten to be too painful to continue their relationship.

Now there are obviously a multitude of details that I don't know and don't understand. They are both strongly aligned with their faiths (both Christians) with a strong belief in God, forgiveness and love. They both are in relationship with the daughter's kids and other common family members. However, for them (and the daughter in particular), continuing their relationship was just too painful so they became and have stayed "estranged".

I would like to say the story has a happy ending but it does not (at least, not yet). The daughter had no interest in re-connecting in any way, shape or form.

This scenario -- estrangement -- is not uncommon but it touches me in a deep way. I can honestly say that nothing has been more difficult for me than those times when my father denied my presence. I feel for my new patient and I want to erase her pain in some way but I cannot. I fully know she contributed to her situation. I also know and feel her daughter's pain. She may be the "boundary setter" but I know it hurts her to her core. My patient revealed to me that the daughter is also estranged from 1 of her 3 children. So this hardening of her heart (although maybe justified and legitimate and conceivably necessary for her self-protection) is carrying on in other aspects of her life. Life is not usually cleanly divided into neat sections.

So, why do I feel compelled to write about this? Why do I crave resolution and reconciliation for these 2 people that I do not really know? I don't think my deep feeling for this situation is unique to me. This estrangement is the opposite of connection and I believe connection is what we are wired for and what we need as much as food or water. I want it for me and I want it for all beings. I realize that the world is far from perfect and "shit happens" but I also believe with all my heart that this is what we are here to learn and to work through. This is what spirituality is about and this is what life is really all about. I am ready to learn and understand more.

In my reading (ie Dying Well by Ira Byock), one of the keys to a good end of life is peace in our relationships. That does not mean we have to always agree or be "fake" in our interactions to keep the peace. It means coming to a respect for the other and maintaining a commitment in relationship with the other. Forgiveness and acceptance bring a world of healing -- they are the path to peace. Forgiveness and acceptance do not mean letting oneself be repeatedly hurt. We may need to protect ourselves if someone is not respectful or kind to us. Forgiveness is an internal shift that allows us to "let go" of our own anger, resentment or guilt -- things that hurt US. We do it for ourselves not for the other. Forgiveness and acceptance allow us to stay in relationship with people who are challenging to us. They permit peace inside and prevent estrangement and isolation.

These principles do not just apply to the end of life. These principles allow living to be better, much better. Walling off our heart is not good for anyone -- young, old, sick or well. Connection is the fruit of life and needs to be valued for what it is -- the ultimate gift.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beautiful. The 'loving kindness' meditation can be a helpful avenue to healing broken relationships. It can facilitate forgivness within ones self if not in the other. It's a first step to healing the whole.
bc
Katie Kobayashi said…
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Popular posts from this blog

A Guest Post from Jenna Walters

Tai Chi for Health Tai Chi is a secret weapon in the battle against the physical and mental demands of life. It has been able to help improve health in individuals with illnesses ranging from peritoneal mesothelioma to migraines . Its quiet and slow movements bring a calm balance to the mind. It also brings strength and balance to the body. Tai Chi demands very little from its participants. The focus is on body awareness and deep breathing. Its stretching is soft and fluid and its movements are low-impact. Young, old, athletic, or the rehabilitating can all gain better health with Tai Chi. Studies have shown that Tai Chi improves physical health . Although the movements are slow and require no added weight, those that practice Tai Chi become stronger in both upper and lower body. There is also proof that flexibility and balance are improved. The fact that the gentleness of this exercise has such positive results makes it perfect for the unfit, the elderly and for those recovering f

Evolutionary Book

I am in the midst of reading a truly great and novel book. Written by Philip Shepherd, New Self, New World  is a deep analysis and different perspective on what is wrong with today's world and why so many of us struggle to find peace and happiness. The book shares with the Pando Method the concept of "coming out of the head and into the body" (the other brain) as a means to see with greater clarity and awareness. We at Pando Health Groups are using our approach of what we call "Center Point Rest" as a conscious process of descending from the thinking mind to the low abdomen. This form of meditation, while brief, gives the individual the opportunity to stop the continuous flow of thoughts and "drop down" into the body and then rest in this quieter, very different space. We find it to be a powerful way to connect with oneself and our true nature as opposed to the ongoing "bombarding thoughts". It truly does change one's state and opens up

Becoming Aware

In doing the work that I am so happy to be doing at Pando Health Groups, I have become acutely aware of the painful, demeaning,  limiting and downright cruel thoughts that people carry around and repeatedly tell themselves. Amazingly successful, intelligent and gifted people continually return to a dark and very negative image of themselves that is not based on current reality or supported by their current performance, relationships or modern lives. However, the tape is still playing. Worse yet, the tape hurts them deep down and affects all that they care about, desire and create. It takes away energy. It zaps power and limits potential. It creates misery and suffering. It, too often, makes their lives stay "stuck in the groove on the record". This tape can be turned off (or destroyed) but for too many it keeps raising its head when circumstances replicate past wounds or when there is an ongoing, overpowering, loud voice that just keeps breaking into one's hea